Monday, February 4, 2008

al-fatihah..

I received a shocking news, yet again.


My old friend, Esmanto, a guy who hails from Tawau, Sabah died last friday because of leukemia at the age of 28. Manto, as I call him, is a great friend. He's a cheerful dude who likes to share his stories with me, mostly about the girls he like to pursue.

He told me before that he was sick, but I didn't believe him as exaggerating is his true battlefield. So, I never took his words seriously, thinking that he just wanted some attention from my busy schedule.

When I heard the news from his sister, I couldn't believe that he was truly gone. I even joked around with the sister asking where he truly was and kept on asking her to stop joking around. When the sister broke down and cry, I realized there was incantation of Yaasin in the background. The news was true after all. I was stoned for quite a while before I apologized and listen to what the sister have to say.

Manto's sickness started way back in 2003 but he never told anyone. It worsen throughout the years and he was depending on constant treatments in the hospital about a year ago. He had to stop working as a photographer and was relying on his family for financial support. His condition was critical and was hospitalized last week but he told the doctor he wanted to be discharged and spend his last days with his family members.

Sigh, it's just sad.

I never had the chance to apologized to him and tell him that he was a good friend. I feel awful that I didn't believe him when he told me that he was sick. Come to think of it, I blame him for being so playful all the time. Dying people supposed to be emotional and angry, especially when they know that they're going to die at such a young age.

Hmm.. I can't write anymore. Sedih giler. Al-fatihah is all I can give to him right now..

No comments: